Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kids television

I let my 3 year old cousin watch an episode of Spongebob Squarepants today. I found it incredibly inappropriate at times. It was funny to me, but I'm an adult. I don't think I'd want him to watch it even if he was 9. The show is actually one of the least offensive cartoons on Nickelodeon, Disney and Cartoon Network.
I was raised very conservatively so maybe it's just the strict standards I was raised with that has affected my judgement on this. Is it just me or is there a lot of too adult, inappropriate content in the average kid's cartoon now?
I allow my toddlers to watch Nick Jr. or PBS kids (only one hour a day) that is geared towards toddlers and has very little offensive content. But what about when they're older? I'm rethinking letting them watch kid's programming at all when they outgrow the younger shows.
If these networks won't put anything disgusting or offensive in their toddler programming, why do they have to saturate children's programs with it? When I was a kid, which was in the 80's, we had a lot of cartoons that were not grotesque at all.
Some of it was mildly violent (Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner & Wile Coyote) but very little of it was just tasteless stupidity or crude. Most of it was solving mysteries or fighting against the forces of evil. Even the funny ones back then didn't have that much low brow humor. Some of them were funny without having to go there.
Are my standards ridiculous or are there other moms out there who don't appreciate the entertainment that is being offered to our children?

No comments:

Post a Comment